Saturday, May 30, 2009

Savoury Pinwheel Scones

You can't say better than this....here I am sitting on my comfy couch, writing a post listening to Chris Moyles on my brand spanking new laptop! AND the kids are out with their Dad getting some fresh air. Now I have just sat down after 1 1/2 hours of clearing up the dump that was my house. So I do feel quite justified having a bit of space for myself. Oh and did I say I was drinking a very yummy cup of coffee. Since my friend Kate has returned from the UK - she has introduced a love of real coffee! Naughty but nice!

Well as you can see by the title of my post and if you take a little glimpse of the photo below, you'll realise I've been a-busy a-baking again. Thanks to Liz who camp up trumps with the recipe for me after putting up with me for a good couple of months of badgering her for it. I tasted her lovely cheesey hamy scrolly delights at the school's local teddy bears picnic and I new I had to have this recipe for myself. I have struggled with making scrolls in past and this is my best attempt to date.



2 cups flour
2 heaped tsp baking powder
1 tsp mustard powder
salt n pepper
4 tsp butter
50g tasty (mature) cheddar
3/4 cup trim milk
filling: 100g ham, 100g tasty (mature) cheddar
  • set oven for 220C
  • sift flour, baking powder, mustard powder and s n p
  • rub in butter and cheese
  • gradually add milk using knife
  • knead gently
  • roll out to form rectangle
  • slice ham into ribbons and spread over scone mixture and cover with cheese
  • roll up and cut into 8
  • place on greased oven tray and bake for 20m or until golden
  • ENJOY!!!

My three monkeys loved them! These are great lunch box fillers! I'm thinking of substituting the ham with marmite as we are a family of marmite lovers. Hope you all are having a fab weekend!

PS - I hope you're trying some of these recipes Carina. After getting your cups you've got no excuse honey!

1 comment:

  1. My goodness, you were lucky to have all that lovely time to do what pleased you. You were a very good girl to do all the housework first, I wouldn't have! Those scrolls do look yum. Yes I think Marmite would be just fine, of course it would be Vegemite in our house -but then I wouldn't be making them would I?

    ReplyDelete

I luuuuuurve comments, so please leave one - thanks!