Saturday, May 9, 2009

Baking and some more Baking!

Now that the bunting, balloons and cards are down - life can return to it's normal (still rather fast) pace.

And after all of that sewing I returned to some baking. After receiving a dinner invitation from my good friend Glenda, I decided to take another shot at my Cinnamon Raisin Plait. The children are always so famished after school/kindy and I thought this would hit the spot for afternoon tea. I remembered to let it prove for only the recommended 30m (not 2 hours!) and got a much better result.

Although - there are a few more amendments I would make (less yeast, more fruit and cinnamon). So when I'm happy with this recipe, I will post it.


Notice Little S' small bun he made especially for Glenda's youngest daughter. Very sweet!


Es and I attended a Mother's Day Breakfast at her school yesterday. It was a mad dash at 7am and it was rather crazy with long queues for food and tea/coffee and too many tables, chairs and bodies in one hall. But it was lovely to do be with Es - just the two of us. I tried to block out the chaos of it all and enjoy being with her. The mother's received some gifts (hand cream pilates vouchers and flowers and I actually won something....lippy and some pop socks on the rather large size).

Look what I ate for breakfast this morning. I hate breakfast and always try and force something down as it's "good for you". But somehow, this slips down a treat with a lovely cup of tea. I made this yesterday. It is 'Chocolate Caramel Slice' from the same Foodtown Mag that the Plait came from. I've always been quite a fan of this magazine, the recipes are relatively simple and use ingredients you already have in the cupboard - bonus! 'Simple but delicious' is always a winner for me. I wouldn't change anything about this recipe it was totally divine! Little S is allergic to egg and nut, so it is nice to have a yummy recipe for a slice that doesn't have 'crushed biscuits' (which always have 'trace of nuts' warning).
150g butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
caramel:
395g tin condensed milk
2 tbsp golden syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar
75g butter
  • oven temp 180 C - line 20cm x 20cm tin
  • cream butter and sugar, stir in vanilla essence
  • add sifted flour, cocoa and baking powder and mix together until combined
  • press two-thirds of mixture in tin ( I needed to add 2 tbsp of water to make mixture more moist)
  • place condensed milk, golden syrup, brown sugar and butter into a saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until combined and thickened. Pour caramel over the base
  • sprinkle remaining mixture over the caramel. Bake for 20-25 m. Cool in tin before cutting.
The kids absolutely scoffed this down as did everyone I offered some to. But as always - I ate the most!

My sister visited 6 months ago (from UK) and left me her most favourite skirt. She had it made in Vietnam whilst she was back-packing and she describes it as the perfect shape/size etc. However, she had worn so much the zip had fallen out and the black had faded to a charcoal colour. So I offered to try and make another one. I unpicked it all completely so I could get the best measurements and use it as a pattern. Since photographing this I have actually nearly finished it - so I'll get a finished shot for you tomorrow!
Thanks for popping by.........go on make yourself some chocolate caramel slice....I bet you've got all the ingredients in your pantry already, if not put - condensed milk on your shopping list!

6 comments:

  1. You know, I think even I could be tempted to make this receipe. Looks easy and fuss free! Haven't got the cond. milk so will put some on the list. Nice to see your school doing something special for the Mums. How sweet of them.

    Hope you have a lovely day today Hazel, with your children.

    Love Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohh yum - you've been busy. That Chocolate Caramel Slice looks delicious! I might give that one a go, but I'm still going nowhere near that freakin plait - yikes!

    The bunting looks fantastic - inspires me to finish mine off so it's ready and waiting for next year.

    Have a nice Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yum - great cooking - they both look divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, thanks for the message you left me. Glad I have found your blog. I'm rubbish at cooking but might be tempted by the choc caramel thingy. I have an egg allergy also so it is good to find egg free cake recipes. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Double yum! What a wonderful cook you are Hazel. Can't wait to try the slice. Looking forward to seeing how the skirt for you sis goes xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, thanks for popping by my blog, I love having new visitors ;o) Loving the look of that Cinnamon Plait, scrummy! Off to have a mooch around xx

    ReplyDelete

I luuuuuurve comments, so please leave one - thanks!